God’s Final Word in His Son
1 God, having spoken to the fathers long ago in [the voices and writings of] the prophets in many separate revelations [each of which set forth a portion of the truth], and in many ways, 2 has in these last days spoken [with finality] to us in [the person of One who is by His character and nature] His Son [namely Jesus], whom He appointed heir and lawful owner of all things, through whom also He created the universe [that is, the universe as a space-time-matter continuum]. 3 The Son is the radiance and only expression of the glory of [our awesome] God [reflecting God’s [a]Shekinah glory, the Light-being, the brilliant light of the divine], and the exact representation and perfect imprint of His [Father’s] essence, and upholding and maintaining and propelling all things [the entire physical and spiritual universe] by His powerful word [carrying the universe along to its predetermined goal]. When He [Himself and no other] had [by offering Himself on the cross as a sacrifice for sin] accomplished purification from sins and established our freedom from guilt, He sat down [revealing His completed work] at the right hand of the Majesty on high [revealing His Divine authority], 4 having become as much superior to angels, since He has inherited a more excellent and glorious [b]name than they [that is, Son—the name above all names].
5 For to which of the angels did the Father ever say,
“You are My Son,
Today I have begotten (fathered) You [established You as a Son, with kingly dignity]”?
And again [did He ever say to the angels],
“I shall be a Father to Him
And He shall be a Son to Me”?(A)
6 [c]And when He again brings the firstborn [highest-ranking Son] into the world, He says,
“And all the angels of God are to worship Him.”(B)
7 And concerning the angels He says,
“Who makes His angels winds,
And His ministering servants flames of fire [to do His bidding].”(C)
8 But about the Son [the Father says to Him],
“Your throne, [d]O God, is forever and ever,
And the [e]scepter of [absolute] righteousness is the scepter of [f]His kingdom.
“You have loved righteousness [integrity, virtue, uprightness in purpose] and have hated lawlessness [injustice, sin].
Therefore God, Your God, Has anointed You
With the oil of gladness above Your companions.”(D)
“[g]You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning,
And the heavens are the works of Your hands;
They will perish, but You remain [forever and ever];
And they will all wear out like a garment,
And like a robe You will roll them up;
Like a garment they will be changed.
But [h]You are the same [forever],
And Your years will never end.”(E)
13 But to which of the angels has the Father ever said,
“Sit at My right hand [together with me in royal dignity],
Until I make your enemies
A footstool for your feet [in triumphant conquest]”?(F)
14 Are not all the angels ministering spirits sent out [by God] to serve (accompany, protect) those who will inherit salvation? [Of course they are!]
- Hebrews 1:3 The word “Shekinah” does not appear in Scripture, but has been used by both Christians and Jews to describe the visible divine Presence of God, in such things as the burning bush, the cloud and the pillar of fire that led the Hebrews in the wilderness, and the Presence of God that rested between the cherubim over the mercy seat of the ark.
- Hebrews 1:4 In Greek “name” occurs last in this verse to emphasize that Jesus alone bears the name Son. No angel is superior to the Son.
- Hebrews 1:6 Most likely a reference to the second coming of Christ when He will be acknowledged as divine and worshiped as the Son of God. Another view suggests that this may be a reference to His incarnation as Jesus of Nazareth.
- Hebrews 1:8 The Son is recognized as deity by being addressed by the Father as “God.”
- Hebrews 1:8 I.e. symbol of authority.
- Hebrews 1:8 Late mss read Your.
- Hebrews 1:10 The deity of Jesus is acclaimed by the designation “You, Lord.”
- Hebrews 1:12 Since He is deity, the eternality of Jesus is recognized.
- Hebrews 1:5 : 2 Sam 7:14; Ps 2:7
- Hebrews 1:6 : Ps 97:7
- Hebrews 1:7 : Ps 104:4
- Hebrews 1:9 : Ps 45:6, 7
- Hebrews 1:12 : Ps 102:25-27
- Hebrews 1:13 : Ps 110:1