5 I am come into my garden, my sister, my bride:
I have gathered my myrrh with my [a]spice;
I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey;
I have drunk my wine with my milk.
Eat, O friends;
Drink, yea, drink abundantly, [b]O beloved.
2 I [c]was asleep, but my heart waked:
It is the voice of my beloved that knocketh, saying,
Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my [d]undefiled;
For my head is filled with dew,
My locks with the drops of the night.
3 I have put off my garment; how shall I put it on?
I have washed my feet; how shall I defile them?
4 My beloved put in his hand by the hole of the door,
And my [e]heart was moved for him.
5 I rose up to open to my beloved;
And my hands dropped with myrrh,
And my fingers with liquid myrrh,
Upon the handles of the bolt.
6 I opened to my beloved;
But my beloved had [f]withdrawn himself, and was gone.
My soul [g]had failed me when he spake:
I sought him, but I could not find him;
I called him, but he gave me no answer.
7 The watchmen that go about the city found me,
They smote me, they wounded me;
The keepers of the walls took away my [h]mantle from me.
8 I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
If ye find my beloved,
[i]That ye tell him, that I am sick from love.
9 What is thy beloved more than another beloved,
O thou fairest among women?
What is thy beloved more than another beloved,
That thou dost so adjure us?
10 My beloved is white and ruddy,
[j]The chiefest among ten thousand.
11 His head is as the most fine gold;
His locks are [k]bushy, and black as a raven.
12 His eyes are like doves beside the water-brooks,
Washed with milk, and [l]fitly set.
13 His cheeks are as a bed of [m]spices,
As [n]banks of sweet herbs:
His lips are as lilies, dropping liquid myrrh.
14 His hands are as [o]rings of gold set with [p]beryl:
His body is as [q]ivory work [r]overlaid with sapphires.
15 His legs are as pillars of marble, set upon sockets of fine gold:
His aspect is like Lebanon, excellent as the cedars.
16 His [s]mouth is most sweet;
Yea, he is altogether lovely.
This is my beloved, and this is my friend,
O daughters of Jerusalem.
- Song of Solomon 5:1 Or, balsam
- Song of Solomon 5:1 Or, of love
- Song of Solomon 5:2 Or, sleep, but my heart waketh
- Song of Solomon 5:2 Hebrew perfect.
- Song of Solomon 5:4 Hebrew bowels.
- Song of Solomon 5:6 Or, turned away
- Song of Solomon 5:6 Hebrew went forth.
- Song of Solomon 5:7 Or, veil
- Song of Solomon 5:8 Hebrew What will ye tell him? That etc.
- Song of Solomon 5:10 Hebrew Marked out by a banner.
- Song of Solomon 5:11 Or, curling
- Song of Solomon 5:12 Or, sitting by full streams
- Song of Solomon 5:13 Or, balsam
- Song of Solomon 5:13 Or, towers of perfumes
- Song of Solomon 5:14 Or, cylinders
- Song of Solomon 5:14 Or, topaz
- Song of Solomon 5:14 Or, bright ivory
- Song of Solomon 5:14 Or, encrusted
- Song of Solomon 5:16 Or, speech. Hebrew palate.