13 A wise son heareth his father’s [a]instruction;
But a scoffer heareth not rebuke.
2 A man shall eat good [b]by the fruit of his mouth;
But [c]the soul of the treacherous shall eat violence.
3 He that guardeth his mouth keepeth his life;
But he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.
4 The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing;
But the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.
5 A righteous man hateth lying;
But a wicked man [d]is loathsome, and cometh to shame.
6 Righteousness guardeth [e]him that is upright in the way;
But wickedness overthroweth [f]the sinner.
7 There is that [g]maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing:
There is that [h]maketh himself poor, yet hath great wealth.
8 The ransom of a man’s life is his riches;
But the poor heareth no [i]threatening.
9 The light of the righteous rejoiceth;
But the lamp of the wicked shall be put out.
10 By pride cometh only contention;
But with the well-advised is wisdom.
11 Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished;
But he that gathereth [j]by labor shall have increase.
12 Hope deferred maketh the heart sick;
But when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.
13 Whoso despiseth the word [k]bringeth destruction on himself;
But he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.
14 The [l]law of the wise is a fountain of life,
That one may depart from the snares of death.
15 Good understanding [m]giveth favor;
But the way of the transgressor is hard.
16 Every prudent man worketh with knowledge;
But a fool flaunteth his folly.
17 A wicked messenger falleth into evil;
But a faithful ambassador is health.
18 Poverty and shame shall be to him that refuseth [n]correction;
But he that regardeth reproof shall be honored.
19 The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul;
But it is an abomination to fools to depart from evil.
20 [o]Walk with wise men, and thou shalt be wise;
But the companion of fools shall [p]smart for it.
21 Evil pursueth sinners;
But the righteous shall be recompensed with good.
22 A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children’s children;
And the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the righteous.
23 Much food is in the [q]tillage of the poor;
But there is that is destroyed by reason of injustice.
24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son;
But he that loveth him chasteneth him [r]betimes.
25 The righteous eateth to the satisfying of his soul;
But the belly of the wicked shall want.
- Proverbs 13:1 Or, correction
- Proverbs 13:2 Or, from
- Proverbs 13:2 Or, the desire of the treacherous is for violence
- Proverbs 13:5 Or, causeth shame and bringeth reproach
- Proverbs 13:6 Hebrew uprightness of way.
- Proverbs 13:6 Hebrew sin.
- Proverbs 13:7 Or, feigneth
- Proverbs 13:7 Or, feigneth
- Proverbs 13:8 Or, rebuke
- Proverbs 13:11 Hebrew with the hand.
- Proverbs 13:13 Or, maketh himself a debtor thereto
- Proverbs 13:14 Or, teaching
- Proverbs 13:15 Or, getteth
- Proverbs 13:18 Or, instruction
- Proverbs 13:20 According to another reading, He that walketh with wise men shall be wise.
- Proverbs 13:20 Hebrew be broken.
- Proverbs 13:23 Or, tilled land
- Proverbs 13:24 Or, diligently