53 Who hath believed [a]our message? and to whom hath the arm of Jehovah been revealed? 2 For he grew up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; [b]and when we see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3 He was despised, and [c]rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with [d]grief: and [e]as one from whom men hide their face he was despised; and we esteemed him not.
4 Surely he hath borne our [f]griefs, and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and Jehovah hath [g]laid on him the iniquity of us all.
7 He was oppressed, yet when he was afflicted he opened not his mouth; as a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and as a sheep that before its shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth. 8 [h]By oppression and judgment he was taken away; and as for his generation, who among them considered that he was cut off out of the land of the [i]living for the transgression of my people to whom the stroke was due? 9 And they made his grave with the wicked, and with a rich man in his death; [j]although he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
10 Yet it pleased Jehovah to bruise him; he hath [k]put him to grief: [l]when thou shalt make his soul [m]an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of Jehovah shall prosper in his hand. 11 [n]He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: [o]by the knowledge of himself shall my righteous servant [p]justify many; and he shall bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he poured out his soul unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors: yet he bare the sin of many, and [q]made intercession for the transgressors.
- Isaiah 53:1 Or, that which we have heard
- Isaiah 53:2 Or, that we should look upon him; nor beauty etc.
- Isaiah 53:3 Or, forsaken
- Isaiah 53:3 Hebrew sickness.
- Isaiah 53:3 Or, he hid as it were his face from us
- Isaiah 53:4 Hebrew sicknesses.
- Isaiah 53:6 Hebrew made to light.
- Isaiah 53:8 Or, From
- Isaiah 53:8 Or, living? for the transgression of my people was he stricken
- Isaiah 53:9 Or, because
- Isaiah 53:10 Hebrew made him sick.
- Isaiah 53:10 Or, when his soul shall make an offering
- Isaiah 53:10 Hebrew a trespass-offering.
- Isaiah 53:11 Or, He shall see and be satisfied with the travail etc.
- Isaiah 53:11 Or, by his knowledge
- Isaiah 53:11 Or, make many righteous
- Isaiah 53:12 Or, maketh