5 The elders therefore among you I exhort, who am a fellow-elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, who am also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: 2 Tend the flock of God which is among you, [a]exercising the oversight, not of constraint, but willingly, [b]according to the will of God; nor yet for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; 3 neither as lording it over the charge allotted to you, but making yourselves ensamples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd shall be manifested, ye shall receive the crown of glory that fadeth not away. 5 [c]Likewise, ye younger, be subject unto the elder. Yea, all of you gird yourselves with humility, to serve one another: for God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace to the humble. 6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time; 7 casting all your anxiety upon him, because he careth for you. 8 Be sober, be watchful: your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9 whom withstand stedfast in [d]your faith, knowing that the same sufferings are [e]accomplished in your [f]brethren who are in the world. 10 And the God of all grace, who called you unto his eternal glory in Christ, after that ye have suffered a little while, shall himself [g]perfect, establish, strengthen [h]you. 11 To him be the dominion [i]for ever and ever. Amen.
12 By Silvanus, [j]our faithful brother, as I account him, I have written unto you briefly, exhorting, and testifying that this is the true grace of God: stand ye fast therein. 13 [k]She that is in Babylon, elect together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Mark my son. 14 Salute one another with a kiss of love.
Peace be unto you all that are in Christ.
- 1 Peter 5:2 Some ancient authorities omit exercising the oversight.
- 1 Peter 5:2 Some ancient authorities omit according to the will of God.
- 1 Peter 5:5 Or, Likewise . . . elder; yea, all of you one to another. Gird yourselves with humility
- 1 Peter 5:9 Or, the
- 1 Peter 5:9 Greek being accomplished.
- 1 Peter 5:9 Greek brotherhood.
- 1 Peter 5:10 Or, restore
- 1 Peter 5:10 Many ancient authorities add settle.
- 1 Peter 5:11 Greek unto the ages of the ages.
- 1 Peter 5:12 Greek the.
- 1 Peter 5:13 That is, The church, or, The sister