2 As a lily among thorns,
So is my love among the daughters.
3 As the apple-tree among the trees of the wood,
So is my beloved among the sons.
I [c]sat down under his shadow with great delight,
And his fruit was sweet to my taste.
4 He brought me to the [d]banqueting-house,
And his banner over me was love.
5 Stay ye me with [e]raisins, refresh me with apples;
For I am sick from love.
6 [f]His left hand is under my head,
And his right hand doth embrace me.
8 The voice of my beloved! behold, he cometh,
Leaping upon the mountains,
Skipping upon the hills.
9 My beloved is like a [i]roe or a young hart:
Behold, he standeth behind our wall;
He looketh in at the windows;
He glanceth through the lattice.
10 My beloved spake, and said unto me,
Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
11 For, lo, the winter is past;
The rain is over and gone;
12 The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of the [j]singing of birds is come,
And the voice of the turtle-dove is heard in our land;
13 The fig-tree ripeneth her green figs,
And the vines are in blossom;
They give forth their fragrance.
Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.
14 O my dove, that art in the clefts of the rock,
In the covert of the steep place,
Let me see thy countenance,
Let me hear thy voice;
For sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely.
15 Take us the foxes, the little foxes,
That spoil the vineyards;
For our vineyards are in blossom.
16 My beloved is mine, and I am his:
He feedeth his flock among the lilies.
17 [k]Until the day [l]be cool, and the shadows flee away,
Turn, my beloved, and be thou like a [m]roe or a young hart
Upon the [n]mountains of [o]Bether.
- Song of Solomon 2:1 Hebrew habazzeleth, the autumn crocus.
- Song of Solomon 2:1 Or, the plain
- Song of Solomon 2:3 Hebrew delighted and sat down etc.
- Song of Solomon 2:4 Hebrew house of wine.
- Song of Solomon 2:5 Hebrew cakes of raisins.
- Song of Solomon 2:6 Or, Let his left hand be etc.
- Song of Solomon 2:7 Or, gazelles
- Song of Solomon 2:7 Or, it. Or, she
- Song of Solomon 2:9 Or, gazelle
- Song of Solomon 2:12 Or, pruning of vines
- Song of Solomon 2:17 Or, When the day is cool
- Song of Solomon 2:17 Or, break. Hebrew breathe.
- Song of Solomon 2:17 Or, gazelle
- Song of Solomon 2:17 Or, mountains of separation
- Song of Solomon 2:17 Perhaps, the spice malobathron