Prayer for protection from the wicked.
For the Chief Musician; with the [a]Nehiloth. A Psalm of David.
5 Give ear to my words, O Jehovah,
Consider my meditation.
2 Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God;
For unto thee do I pray.
3 O Jehovah, in the morning shalt thou hear my voice;
In the morning will I order my prayer unto thee, and will keep watch.
4 For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness:
[b]Evil shall not sojourn with thee.
5 [c]The arrogant shall not stand in thy sight:
Thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
6 Thou wilt destroy them that speak lies:
Jehovah abhorreth the blood-thirsty and deceitful man.
7 But as for me, in the abundance of thy lovingkindness will I come into thy house:
In thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.
8 Lead me, O Jehovah, in thy righteousness because of [d]mine enemies;
Make thy way [e]straight before my face.
9 For there is no [f]faithfulness in their mouth;
Their inward part is [g]very wickedness;
Their throat is an open sepulchre;
They [h]flatter with their tongue.
10 Hold them guilty, O God;
Let them fall [i]by their own counsels;
Thrust them out in the multitude of their transgressions;
For they have rebelled against thee.
11 [j]But let all those that take refuge in thee rejoice,
Let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them:
Let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.
12 For thou wilt bless the righteous;
O Jehovah, thou wilt compass him with favor as with a shield.
- Psalm 5:1 Or, wind instruments
- Psalm 5:4 Or, The evil man
- Psalm 5:5 Or, Fools
- Psalm 5:8 Or, them that lie in wait for me
- Psalm 5:8 Or, level
- Psalm 5:9 Or, stedfastness
- Psalm 5:9 Or, a yawning gulf
- Psalm 5:9 Hebrew make smooth their tongue.
- Psalm 5:10 Or, from their counsels
- Psalm 5:11 Or, So shall all those . . . rejoice, They shall ever shout . . . and thou shalt defend them: They also . . . shall be joyful in thee.